In September 2019, we introduced a new mastery led curriculum using the Power Maths scheme, drawing insight and training from a Maths Hub Specialist. Power Maths is a whole-class mastery programme designed for children in Reception to Year 6, to spark curiosity and excitement and empower every child to develop a growth mind-set to succeed in maths!
Created, and working in partnership with this scheme, we follow the overviews and progression grids designed by White Rose which match the outcomes of Power Maths. Problem solving, fluency and relational understanding are at the heart of the scheme. It uses the Concrete, Pictorial, Abstract (CPA) approach and allows pupils to spend enough time to fully explore a topic, reinforcing it with practice, before moving onto the next one. All ideas are built on previous knowledge and pupils have ample opportunity to develop relationships between topics.
Lessons typically are broken into four parts:
- Discover – the lesson is introduced with a practical, real-life problem that arouses curiosity and enables the children to explore different methods.
- Share – the teacher introduces and explains the new learning for the lesson and shares the children’s methods.
- Think Together – children practice new learning in groups, pairs or individually guided by the teacher.
- Independent Practice – Once children have mastered the concept they use their reasoning and problem-solving skills to develop their depth of learning independently in their practise books
Within some lessons, you can expect to see evidence of ‘Journaling’ incorporated- a mastery technique used to help children openly reflect on their own ideas, develop a sense of metacognition (the ability to understand how they learn as individuals) and develop higher level thinking skills.
As well as Power Maths, classes have set aside time weekly to focus on fluency and the teaching of key number facts which goes by the title, ‘Fluency Power’. ‘Times Table Rockstars’ is also a tool used to support quick recall of times table facts.
Within Nursery, maths is integrated within the wider curriculum and encouraged through continuous provision to meet the ‘Early Years Outcomes’. They explore maths from multiple perspectives—integrating and making links between all areas of mathematics. Children are taught to develop a real depth of conceptual understanding, continued through Reception, forming a solid foundation for Year 1.
Class Maths Overviews
- Maths Overviews 2021-2022 :EYFS-Year 6
- Mathematics Policy 2021-2022
- Mathematics Yearly Fluency Overview 2021-2022
- Calculation Policy
- Maths Progression Map 2021-2022: EYFS (Nursery-Reception)
- Maths Progression Map 2021-2022: Year 1-Year 6