Welcome to Year 1
Class Teacher: Miss Boyles
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Rossiter
Year 1 Home Learning Information
Expectations for home learning:
Through this period of school closures we will continue to provide your child high-quality resources that are in line with the school curriculum so that your child can continue their education from home. It’s a difficult time for both adults and children and we will be in regular contact through SeeSaw, text messages, updates on the school websites and weekly phone calls.
It is really important that you child uploads their work daily so I can monitor progress and plan for next steps in their learning. Your child will be provided with regular feedback, which will focus upon celebrating successes, and offering suggestions for next steps and challenge.
Home learning links
- SeeSaw – An app where children access assigned remote learning.
- Numbots – A game to support number bonds.
- EdShed – A spelling focused game to practice assigned spellings.
- Online Library – A place where you can borrow books online.
- BBC Bitesize – Videos and learning around all subject areas.
- Oak National Academy – Online activities for Maths, English and topic work.
- How to teach your monster to read – A game to support phonics.
- Oxford Owl – Online reading books.
- Hit the button – a maths game.
- Busy Things – An educational platform.
Phonics and Reading in Year 1
In Year 1 we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their English. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
So that you are able to support your child’s learning at home, please take some time to explore the links below to see videos and examples of how RWI is taught.
RWI Phonics Books
Set 2 Sounds – real and alien word cards
Set 3 Sounds: Real and alien words